“Hey, wanna hear the most annoying sound in the world? AHGGHHAHH!”
10. ‘Dumb and Dumber’ Jim Carrey – The annoying sounds scene was entirely unscripted. Jim did it on a whim.
“My wife used to fart when she was nervous. She had all sorts of wonderful idiosyncrasies.She used to fart in her sleep. One night it was so loud it woke the dog up!”
9. ‘Good Will Hunting‘ Robin Williams – Robin’s entire story of the farting wife is completely ad-libbed. Matt’s laughing is genuine.
“Leave the gun, take the cannoli.”
8. ‘The Godfather’ Richard S. Castellano
7. ‘Saving Private Ryan‘ Matt Damon – The entire barn story was made up by Matt.
6. ‘Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back‘ Harrison Ford – His original scripted response was, “I love you too.” George Lucas didn’t like it and told Harrison to say whatever he wanted and ‘I know’ fit perfectly.
“Here’s looking at you kid.”
5. ‘Casablanca‘ Humphrey Bogart
“A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti.Hsssss!”
4. ‘Silence of the Lambs‘ Anthony Hopkins – This was not in the script and Anthony said it as a joke. It was creepy enough that it made the cut. *Correction – The noise Hopkins makes at the end of the line was unscripted.*
3. ‘The Shining‘ Jack Nicholson
“You talking to me? Are you talking to me?”
2. ‘Taxi Driver‘ Robert De Niro – He was originally told to talk to the mirror and Robert came up with the line on his own.
“You’re gonna need a bigger boat.”
1. ‘Jaws‘ Roy Schneider
There are a ton more out there. These are just the ones I hear repeated the most. What was your favorite that should have made the list?
Here are some more movie lines that enthusiasts are sharing…
“It’s in the hole!”
‘Caddyshack’ Bill Murray – Most of this film has an ad-lib element, but one of the lines repeated on golf courses.
“What do you mean I’m a funny guy. Funny how? Funny like I’m here to amuse you?”
‘Goodfellas’ Joe Pesci – It has long been said that Joe ad-libbed his way through most of this film. According to Maxim, Pesci claims to have come up with the entire “Funny How” scene.
‘Blazing Saddles‘ also had a ton of unscripted lines that are constantly repeated…
“Badges? We don’t need no stinkin’ badges!”
“These are people of the land. The common clay of the new west. You know…morons.”